Pentagon Talent have partnered with a world renowned, highly reputable law firm with a presence in over thirty countries, currently searching for an experienced and dynamic Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to join their Hong Kong office. The firm is recognised for its groundbreaking solutions and unwavering commitment to excellence, making this role a compelling opportunity for a strategic financial leader.
As the Chief Financial Officer in Hong Kong, the chosen candidate will occupy a pivotal role that encompasses multifaceted financial and commercial leadership within the organisation. Reporting directly to the Global CFO, they will serve as an essential member of the office's leadership team, providing proactive guidance to optimise revenue, profitability, and operational efficiency. The responsibilities span a broad spectrum:
Key responsibilities for the CFO in the Hong Kong office:
- The CFO serves as the primary financial and commercial liaison for the Partner group, actively engaging in high-level strategic discussions.
- The CFO collaborates on defining the trajectory of the practice, including growth strategies and commercial triumphs. Preparing forecasts and analyses is a core responsibility.
- They spearhead office rate negotiations, underpinned by insightful profitability forecasting based on multiple levers.
- You will mentor and guide new partner hires, shaping their success within the organisation.
- The CFO assumes accountability for all local statutory and internal compliance requirements, encompassing taxes, financial reporting, and financial controls and policies.
- You will lead and inspire the finance team, holding direct management responsibility for the entire office finance function.
- The CFO takes ownership of the external auditor relationship, annual financial audits, and the year-end closing process.
- Deliver management accounts and information that offer actionable insights to stakeholders within the Practice.
- The CFO proactively monitors financial results and potential risks to provide timely insights to support our business's success.
- Manage cash effectively, including cash forecasts and nurturing local bank relationships, is part of their remit.
- They oversee the management of costs and profitability, including partner compensation, and undertake all other activities integral to the delivery of financial services.
- Spearhead the development and implementation of commercial initiatives that reflect global best practices is a key role.
- The CFO assumes a central role in partner pipeline planning, business cases, onboarding, and mentoring. Providing crucial support for leadership on partner compensation and related matters.
- Ensure effective implementation of firm-wide initiatives, aligning them with local requirements, is a vital function.
- Supervise and moderate the budget and business planning process for the office, ensuring completeness and accuracy while providing vital advice to stakeholders.
Key Characteristics for the successful CFO in Hong Kong:
- The CFO exhibits exemplary leadership, identifying opportunities for growth and creating a robust, collaborative, resilient, and high-performing team.
- You will manage and nurture a high-performing team, with a dual focus on technical excellence, professional standards, commercial acumen, excellent service levels, and timely delivery.
- Ensure the team is adaptable to the changing needs of the business and the evolving operational environment is paramount.
- You should engage, develop, mentor, and motivate staff, helping them reach their full potential while aligning their goals with the strategic direction of the A&O finance function.
- Champion and foster excellence, innovation, and a service-oriented mindset within the team is an important function.
- The CFO cultivates a positive work environment that encourages collaboration and promotes an interconnected network.
- You continually enhance the operational environment and working practices within the team, seeking opportunities to incorporate cross-training, develop succession plans, and create well-rounded roles.
- Serve as a mentor to other finance personnel across the region is also a key responsibility.
Key Requirements for the CFO:
- The chosen candidate must hold a professional accounting qualification.
- You should have previous managerial experience in the legal sector preferably.
- They should feel comfortable working directly with senior leaders and have the confidence to encourage and challenge partners.
- Strong team management and development skills are essential, as well as the ability to supervise remote team members and appreciate the dynamics of cross-cultural collaboration.
- Some travel may be required.
- Relocation if you are coming from the UK or outside of Hong Kong (relocation finances are provided).
- They possess robust accounting, tax, and treasury skills, bolstered by extensive experience in an international environment.
Ready to embark on an exciting journey, including a possible relocation if currently based outside of Hong Kong, with a prestigious global law firm and take on a vital role in the finance department? If you are a qualified accountant with a proven record of financial leadership, this is your chance to make a substantial impact. If you are interested in the role above, please apply or for more information, please call Sam Vorley on 0207 419 8939.
Morgan Hunt is a multi-award-winning recruitment business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer. Job suitability is assessed on merit in accordance with the individual's skills, qualifications and abilities to perform the relevant duties required in a particular role.